Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

So, I was just wondering…

woman wondering

I can’t remember a time I didn’t like to read. I always have a book with me in case I can catch a few extra minutes to myself. I have to read when I get up in the morning and before I go to sleep at night. I have a book or magazine in the car in case I’m stuck waiting somewhere. And I always have a book if I’m the passenger. I have an uncle who used to read while driving but that’s another story. I’m very grateful to be alive after the one and only time I witnessed it!

When I was a kid, I could read anytime, anywhere, but when I was pregnant with my first child that all changed. It must have been the hormones raging through my expanding body that did me in (I still blame that for a lot of things and my youngest kid is 17), but I couldn’t read in a car or any other vehicle without becoming ill and staying ill the whole trip. I hated it! That’s improved over the years but I have to do it carefully to be able to enjoy a book while traveling. I have to spend the first 20 minutes getting used to the motion and then it’s usually OK to give it a try. If the road is too twisty or I already have a headache then forget it. Some of my best reading time has been while riding so it’s always worth the risk to see if I’ll be able to do it. Sounds so daring and dangerous doesn’t it? Reading while riding… woooo… Maybe Tom Cruise could make an action film about it. Wow. I am getting old.

So I was just wondering, do you like to read in the car? Can you read while you’re in the car? What are some handy tricks you or others use to help you enjoy a book while traveling in these summer months? As readers, we have been known to go to extremes to accomplish our dreams! *smirk*

Yep, I’m getting sooo old.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could read in the car! Since I can't, I listen to audio books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem you do but I find that if I recline the seat of the car and lift the book up instead of looking down then it works and I could read for a while. Am I gonna ride for hours and hours with only the trees to look out when I could be reading a book? No way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't read in any moving thing (except the airplane and then only if there's no turbulence). This is the only time I listen to audiobooks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish I could read in the car! I'm so bad I feel yucky after even reading a map for a few minutes. I envy anyone who can read in a car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't read in the car, I can't even dig in my purse to find something while in a car or I feel sick. When I was a kid I couldn't ride a car for more than 10min without being sick. Now I'm fine as long as I keep my eyes on the road. My last trip to NY (6 hour drive) was kinda long without being able to read =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite my rabid love of reading, I've never been able to read in a car. In a train or bus, yes. But never in a car. I'd have to take something and usually that something knocks me out, hence defeating the purpose. Thankfully my family was never one for long road trips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can usually read in the car with no issues. I've found that it's much easier to read when it's dark out and I have my clip on light. If I'm distracted by anything while in the car, reading, then that's when the motion sickness gets me, otherwise, I'm fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the time I can read in the car. Like you I have to get acclimated and have a bottle of water with me. That seems to help. I also can't have a headache. Headache + reading = upset stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are lucky. I can't read in the car at all. I get a headache and a few times when I was younger, sick! So, I always have a few audio books that I think my hubby will like on a trip. Now he's addicted to them too and listens to them while driving to work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!