Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

So, I was just wondering…

woman wondering

Every now and then I read about a blogger having problems with negative comments left on their posts. Sometimes it’s just spam, we all seem to get hit with that eventually, but all too often it’s deliberate. It seems like the blogs who review the young adult books get hit the hardest although they are not alone. It also isn’t reserved just for bloggers. I’ve heard some shocking stories of authors jumping into the fray, usually about reviews they disagreed with. I know there is always drama somewhere and we don’t, and shouldn’t, agree on every topic. What bothers me is how rude people can be, especially when they chose to remain anonymous. I guess it’s easy to be brave when you don’t have to show your name or your face. 

I was reading a post earlier this week from Alyssa at Teens Read and Write about this subject but she had the great idea to turn that negative energy around. She wrote about her positive experiences with other bloggers. Jen G. continued the theme at her blog The Introverted Reader. In her post she thanked others who have helped her along the way. I’ve been very fortunate and from the first day here I found myself within a community of wonderful people. Any time I’ve needed help or advice there has always been someone who knew what to do or where to go. I have met so many kind and generous people including readers, bloggers, librarians, booksellers, publishers, authors… the list goes on and on. Each one has contributed to this amazing journey and I have learned so much already. I’m so grateful and wish I could list every single person here but it would take me the rest of the week and I’m already behind! I’m a firm believer that there is always more good than bad and I liked that Alyssa and Jen chose to write about their positive experiences. I thought I would continue the same theme and add my two cents worth.

So, I was just wondering what your own experiences have been like? Have you had problems with negative remarks or reviews or have you had a more positive experience? Or maybe you’ve had a bit of both? Feel free to share. Maybe we can keep the good vibes going! I hope each and every one of you is having a wonderful week!

7 comments:

  1. The whole experience has been very positive for me - I've found everyone welcoming and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie for me I think I only have received one sorta of nasty comment/email from a blogger and that was when I was fairly new and didn't know alot. This particular blogger I felt could have been a little nicer in my opinion (I didn't link back to the blogger when I posted something). If they would have looked they would have known I was a newbie and explained to me what I did wrong and how to fix it for the future.

    Unfortunetly there will always be the good and the bad no matter what and I tend to stay away or distance myself from bloggers who keep drama going.

    Personally there are a few bloggers (i know)who will help you out when you ask them something no matter how trivial it might be. Those are true bloggers to me.

    We should all be willing to help someone out when need be and not turn our backs on them because we don't want to help them out. I found bloggers are like family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually never had a real bad experience in the blogging world but have seen where others have. I always wonder what makes people feel the need to be rude or mean? I can understand disagreeing and stating your point but when you cross over to personal attacks that is taking it to far. Then again I think those people that do that are probably the type that do it off-line too. They are the people that you wonder what kind of drama they are going to stir up and if they just wouldn't be complete without it. I, on the other hand, feel like everyone is entitled to their POV. I don't have to agree with it but I certainty don't need to get nasty about it. I say accentuate the positive and really ignore the negative as it will always be out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to receive an off color comment, although the fear that I will is always there. It took SO MUCH for me to even start my blog. I am the type of person that feels like everyone is laughing or judging me. I think after blogging for a year, I am totally comfortable with it. And if I do receive a nasty comment, it will be good therapy for me learning how to deal with it. Thanks for the links to the other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had very, very few negative comments and they've been directed at authors or book content, not my reviews or personal opinion, for the most part (although, there have been times people disagreed with me and that's fine as long as they're polite about it).

    At this point, I'm moderating and I won't approve anything that is extremely negative, particularly personal attacks on authors. I got one that basically said, "You're a fake!" in reference to an author whose name I won't mention and another who said, "I don't like this book --" and it totally sounded like she hadn't read the book; she simply disliked the author because that author has a massive following. Both went in the trash.

    Typically, the Christian books get the strongest negative reaction -- from other Christians, unfortunately. I will publish and address comments if they're not vicious. If I think they're way too negative to even comment upon, though, I will not publish them, period. I like keeping things positive at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for spreading good vibes around! I haven't had any bad experiences yet. Just last week I had to write a negative review of a book that an author had sent me. I emailed him and warned him it was coming and he was very, very gracious about it. He was sorry that I didn't like the book but thanked me for taking the time to read it and review it and said he would use my comments to help make his work better in the future. What a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had a negative comment and only great experiences with my blog. Occasional spam but that happens to us all

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!