Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cover Attractions: repeat after me by Rachel DeWoskin

Thank you to Marcia at The Printed Page for hosting each week.

repeat after me
by Rachel DeWoskin

I saw this on another blog recently and I was really attracted to the cover. It's so simple but the colors stand out. The simple, lower case title fits in very well.



From Booklist
*Starred Review* Cultures don’t so much collide as coalesce in DeWoskin’s sparkling debut novel, which follows the relationship of two people with more in common than their backgrounds would suggest. Aysha Silvermintz is a marginally neurotic, sublimely needy young instructor of English to immigrants in Manhattan’s Upper West Side. Her student Da Ge is an intriguingly taciturn, softly menacing Chinese national who came to the U.S. in the wake of the Tiananmen Square uprisings. What they lack in fluid communication skills they more than make up for in shared emotional fragility, born of family tragedies and personal failures. Aysha falls instantly and secretly in love with Da Ge, long before he bluntly asks her to marry him so he can become a U.S. citizen. Aysha becomes pregnant, but before she can tell him, Da Ge commits suicide just days before his citizenship is finalized. Determined to understand what plagued this tortured, enigmatic man, Aysha moves to China, where she’ll raise the daughter he never knew. Infusing her multicultural narrative with vibrant observations that glitter with laser-intense acuity, DeWoskin demonstrates a smart, sophisticated literary agility. --Carol Haggas


Publisher: Overlook
Release date: May 14, 2009
Pages: 320
Price/format: /hardcover
Type: Fiction

5 comments:

  1. I had seen this somewhere before too and I agree, it's a very pretty cover. Simple yet really eye catching at the same time. I like covers like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cover...and the story sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this actually sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow -- what a powerful book! I'm supremely intrigued myself. The cover is definitely bold. I usually like simple cover art... it seems to make more of a statement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Dar. It's so simple and yet it really grabs my attention! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!