Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Review: Dixie Divas by Virginia Brown

"You found my philandering ex-husband?" Bitty asked. "Where? Mexico? Paris? In Tupelo with a cocktail waitress?" "In your closet," I answered. "Dead." Break out the hoop skirts and the zinfandel. The Divas are on the case. Wine. Chocolate. Transvestite strippers. Just another good-time get-together for the Dixie Divas of historic Holly Springs, Mississippi, where moonlight and magnolias mingle with delicious smalltown scandal. But Eureka "Trinket" Truevine, the newest Diva, gets more than she bargained for when she finds her best Diva girlfriend Bitty Hollandale's ex-husband in Bitty's hall closet. He's dead. Very dead. Now Trinket and the Divas have to help Bitty finger the murderer and clear her name. Virginia Brown is the nationally acclaimed, award-winning author of fifty novels.

I'm always happy to find a book that includes humor no matter what genre it may be. That's what attracted me to this one. It did get off to a bit of a slow start for me and I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps I was just anxious to get into the story. Once I met more of the characters the pace picked up.

Trinket has come home after a recent divorce and anticipates a quiet life helping her parents in their family home. But when her friend Bitty is accused of murder, plans change. A group of Bitty's friends who call themselves the Dixie Divas take Trinket into their circle and make it their mission to help find the real killer. Fortunately for me, this isn't an easy task but it is funny. The ladies know how to mix southern charm with kick-butt attitude and of course it leads to trouble. I enjoyed them more than the actual murder mystery.

This was a light read and nice stress reliever during a hectic week. I look forward to the next book in the Dixie Divas Mystery Series.

Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers for a review copy of this book.

Publisher: Bell Bridges Books
Release date: 6/1/09
Pages: 308
Price/format: $14.95/trade paperback
Type: Fiction/Mystery/Contemporary/Southern Cozy

3 comments:

  1. I thought this book was funny too. It probably could have been pared down a tad but overall it was a light amusing read. We definitely need this type of book occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great series to put on the de=stress list. I'd not heard of it before...thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received a copy of this book awhile back and wasn't sure what to make of it. Glad to see it provides some fun, mindless reading. I could use some of that right about now.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!