Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

So, I was just wondering

woman wondering

It’s graduation season and gifts are needed. Cash is important to every new grad of course but books are always a good idea too (I think so anyway). Finding the right one can be a challenge but there are plenty of classics out there. A favorite that always comes to mind is Oh, The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss. Although it’s considered a picture book, the rhymes are endearing and inspirational. The messages are timeless and apply to all ages so it’s equally good for a preschooler or a teenager. After all, you’re never too old for Dr. Seuss! And what about dictionaries? That used to be an obvious choice but do people even buy them anymore? I still use mine, I have a couple that have been around here for a long time and it’s handy to grab one when I need it.  

So I was wondering, what books would you suggest for a graduation gift? Have you ever given any for that occasion? Did you receive any yourself that were memorable? Please share with us!

Congratulations to all the graduates and best wishes!

6 comments:

  1. One that I've noticed a lot of colleges are requiring incoming freshmen to read is
    "Nickel and Dimed" and I agree. I read it and highly recommend it for the college bound .

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always give cash - not very original, I know. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a good book out there about living with a roommate that would make a great gift to the college bound graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love giving books as gifts for any occasion. :) I think for graduations, it's easier if the graduate is in a specific field. For a friend that went to vet school I gave a copy of a book called Shelter Stories (a collection about adopted pets) and to a law school graduate I gave the book Team of Rivals about Abraham Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone gave me Ten Things I Wish I'd Known - Before I Went Out into the Real World by Maria Shriver when I graduated from college. It was pretty insightful. I think it would be good for HS graduates leaving home too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always give cash, so I have never really thought about what book I would give a grad. That is a great idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite graduation gift is this journal

    http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Home-gift/Go-Confidently-Thoreau-Black-and-White-Quote-Bound-Journal-8x8/e/9781590352236

    It's a book, I love the quote, and as a journal they can tailor it to their own needs. And I always include some extra cash:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!