Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So, I was wondering…

woman wondering

I should have done this one sooner but it’s never too late for a good recommendation. The holidays are over but I’m still looking for gifts to give. Instead of going into debt up to our eyeballs we decided to give what we could by December 25th and then finish up after Christmas. I’m still working on it but it’s been a good alternative for us this year. We also cut back on our exchanges and don’t do nearly as much as we used to. That has also worked well and everyone has been very thoughtful, appreciative and focused more on each other rather than the gifts. I had to force my three kids, ages 16, 19 and 21, to come up with even a short list for themselves. They didn’t want anything this year. While that is very comforting to know that I don’t have greedy children it’s also very hard to come up with something they will like and use.

So, I was wondering, what books or book-related items did you receive this year? What books did you give? It seems like the e-readers were enormously popular this season. What were some of your favorite items that weren’t book-related? How about great ideas that you heard about from someone else? Go ahead and share! I’d love to hear all about it! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season!!

8 comments:

  1. Our family was in a very similar situation this year. I ended up giving my brother a "coupon" for a trip to a local museum he's been wanting to visit. Kind of unusual, but he really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite gift was my Kindle. I just LOVE it. It's amazing all the free books you can find for it too.

    Non-book related included: handmade ornaments and jewelry :)

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a cookbook and an amazon gift card. I also got money for BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't receive a lot of books as gifts, but then again I never do. I did the LT SantaThing for the first time this year, which was a lot of fun. I go Patient Zero, and another book whose title is a blank at the moment (I'd never heard of either, so the fact I can remember one title is a good thing), and I also got Tarnsman of Gor, which I had bought with Christmas money my mom sent. I was curious about this series that seems to have inspired a lifestyle for people in the real world as well as in online communities.

    I gave a lot of books last year, though. I gave a few copies of Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper, a copy of The Gargoyle, the complete Twilight set went to my 16-year-old as well as a New Moon movie companion book, and to my 15-year-old I gave a illustrated book about Michael Jackson (she's a fan). I also gave my mom a copy of BoneMan's Daughter and Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank, which was a fun boook for both of us.

    Mostly this past Christmas, I stayed very close to budget. Maggie got the bike she was dreaming of, but that was her only present. Gwen wanted an MP3 player and a DVD of Up. Otherwise I gave gift cards. It would seem cash (even in the form of a store gift card) is still king ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good question. I got the book buddy which I love.

    I am like you and money is always tight so I usually tend to buy gifts through out the year and put them away.

    At my son's school their fundraising is GC's so I will do that as well during the school year. Which i bought for family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my mom the book buddy pillow and blanket set for her Dec. birthday. I also saw the Bag Ladies Tea (http://bagladiestea.com/novel-tea.html) on another blog, but haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate so much to your Christmas and to having older children who don't want anything. My son and his wife are expecting our first grandchild (now THAT'S a gift!) and he is adamant about us not spending money since they have what they need and he wants us to save so our retirement which has just started can be a good one. BUT we did spend Christmas with them so that was like a gift to be with them for a week. I gave a baby nursing guide book with a onesie to my daughter--in-law and we all oohed at the "Mommy's Little Cowboy" on it (they live in Texas) and then gave my son two onesies with one being an exact match to a plaid shirt we call his nerd shirt so Dad and son can dress alike while the other says "My Dad Rocks". I broke the rule and did buy him one Wii game he really wanted and his wife and I proceeded to sit in front of the fire on a white Christmas and play it! Just being together with them for that week was the best gift for all of us. I did get a new camera (baby pictures) that automatically downloads the pictures to my computer wirelessly (amazing)and a new laptop (my son is a computer geek and was scolded for the expense) but I love it. My daughter-in-law knows a good purse is my passion and bought me a gorgeous Coach purse that has such soft leather (but she at least got it at the outlet)...we were truly spoiled and certainly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gave The Hunger Games and Catching Fire; The Gallagher Girls (first 2); I, Sniper; and Liar. I got a passel of books that were on my wishlist and am totally happy with them.

    My family did something this year that I totally adored. We were allowed $5 for supplies, and we were supposed to make something for a white elephant exchange. We were supposed to make something nice, and then we exchanged them. It was fun and memorable and I hope we do it again next year. Handmade is the way to go.

    I don't buy into the e-readers. I don't knock those of you who like them, but I just don't think they'll ever be a replacement for real books for me.

    As for suggestions, for the age groups you have listed, I would definitely look into gifting YA books :o) I heart them and I'm a few years older than your oldest, but they're always a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!