Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Saturday Snapshot

 Saturday Snapshot is hosted by At Home with Books. To participate in this meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don't post random photos that you find online.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love to make things and had so many plans for Christmas. Of course I didn't get to everything that I wanted to make (yet) but I did get to the most important items. Since my ideas came from other sources I thought I would share a few of my results.

I have a friend who is bonkers for Harry Potter. I do love the books myself so it's a fun topic for us. She knows I like to be artistic and crafty when the mood strikes me so she asked me to paint a quote from a book on a switch plate (light switch cover). I had to take it farther than that, of course, and decided to surprise her with a few as well. Instead of painting the quotes I researched some favorite lines, designed the look I wanted then typed and printed them on different colors of scrapbook paper. After I cut them down I attached with Mod Podge and added a few coats on top. I even covered the screws. I sure learned a lot between the first one and the fourth one. What a difference! And she was surprised. Just wait until she sees what's next!
Close up view
Homemade light switch covers with Harry Potter quotes

It's a homemade Golden Snitch ornament! (For the same friend)
A different view on the tree

I made some other fun things too but of course I didn't get to everything I had planned. I made ornaments for my son's girlfriend and the grandkiddos but I forgot to take photos. I have more to make that involve clear glass ornaments and glitter. Pretty!

These are the ones I did remember to photograph - 
The Princess made these coozies for her mommy and daddy!
I saw this idea on Pinterest so I made my own version for grandkiddos and a few other kids.


18 comments:

  1. I love to see people's creativity! I love the idea for the Golden Snitch. Lucky friend of yours :) Great quote for the switchplates, by the way. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Snitch started out different but changed with the supplies I found at the store. I might try to make some tiny earrings like that too. I'm lucky to have my friend and always happy to make things for her. :)

      Delete
  2. I Love the switch plates...how pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those quotes and Harry Potter in general. What a creative way to decorate with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very crafty! I love the light switch plates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The switchplates are terrific. I love the phrases you chose. I'd have a hard time narrowing it down. I once claimed everything you needed to know you could learn from Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was hard to narrow down the choices. I have along list of quotes I like and I will be making more now that the holidays are over! My friend suggested I make enough to sell at a craft show. I would love to try it but I say that about a lot of crafts I make and have only done it a few times. It's more fun to make them for friends!

      Delete
  6. So clever and perfect for the Potter fans in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never have thought of creating switchplates. They are brilliant. http://goo.gl/dgFw0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It wasn't my idea to make them though. I saw it elsewhere and then came up with my own design. It's pretty easy after you make a few!

      Delete
  8. I love seeing how creative you are --jealous too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So clever! Wonderful ideas, Debbie! I'm sure your friend loved the switchplates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did love them and I look forward to making more!

      Delete
  10. Very nice....you are creative!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are so cute and so original. You don't see bookish switchplates every day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!