Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman



Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be
completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard...



After a tragic beginning Bod is being raised, loved and educated by ghosts who are his new family. He also has a guardian that doesn't belong to his world or the ghosts' world and he would do anything to protect Bod. And he does need protecting but not in the graveyard. There are dangers there but he has always been well taken care of. He has so much to explore and to learn. This is a place that offers a wealth of information from all of it's occupants and adventures that any boy would envy. Imagine learning history from the people who were actually there! Bod does need protection if he journeys out of the graveyard because Jack is the man that wants the boy. He needs to finish the job that he started when he killed Bod's entire family. And he's been waiting years.

I had recently read Neil Gaiman's book Coraline and enjoyed it so I thought I would try his newest book. I've liked spooky stories since I was a child and many of them involved a cemetery in some way or another. None of them ever did it quite like this. The graveyard wasn't just a setting, it was a character. Bod interacted with it and the ghosts that reside there throughout the story. There were so many interesting adventures that he participated in because he developed special abilities while living there. He was a living child but he had learned to fade out of view and to see in the darkness. He can see and communicate with ghosts and he can go places that other people can't. His story also involves the magic and the creative imagination of children. The author takes Bod and the reader on an adventure that isn't likely to happen to an adult. I would recommend this story for older children and up due to Bod's violent past. Although it's not graphic it is a frightening theme.

Neil Gaiman's website: neilgaiman.com

Publisher: Harper Collins Children
Release Date: 2008
Pages: 307
Price/format: /hardcover/$17.99
Type: fiction
Age: young adult

8 comments:

  1. The Graveyard Book is one I want to read, I picked it up on audio not long ago so I'm excited about starting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to read this book for so long. I should get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great book! Such a fun read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Coraline too and would love to read this one. The Coraline movie is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review - I loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this one. I'm reading Coraline with my daughter right now, and she doesn't think it's scary enough. ;)

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  8. I won this in a Twitter giveaway and haven't had a chance to read it yet. Hopefully I get to it soon. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!