Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming,
"WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Monday, April 6, 2009

Mailbox Monday


~ April 6th




Join the fun at Printed Page where Marcia hosts Mailbox Monday every week!

It was a slow week for me. I only got two books! That really is a good thing though because I've been trying to be more selective until I get some of my reviews caught up. But... it's so nice to see those packages arrive at my house.

Wednesday 4/1

A Certain Slant Of Light
by Laura Whitcomb

A creepy cover and I expected a creepy story. But from the reviews I've read this author's first YA novel has an original premise and lovely prose. Helen has been haunting for 150 years and is now in a high school English class. She can see and hear everything around her but no one could tell that she was there. Until now. A young man in the class is staring at her and she knows he can see her. But why?

Thank you to The Bizarre Library for the contest for this book and beautiful bookmark.

Release date: 2005.


Physick Book Of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

This is a duplicate copy since I already got this one last week.
This combines a woman's modern day search for her family's history and their link to the Salem witch trials of 1690. The author had two ancestors accused of witchcraft in Salem.

Thank you to Hyperion for an ARC of this book.

Release date: June 2009


Library


The Magician
by Michael Scott

The second book in the fantasy YA series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. These books have juxtaposed reality with magic and myth. Twin teens must find the the book of the Mage to prevent the destruction of the world. Ancient evils are in pursuit of the only people who can fulfill the Prophecy.

Release date: 2008



Tithe
by Holly Black

A modern faerie tale. Sixteen-year-old Kaye travels from city to city with her mother's rock band. But she is forced back to her hometown and becomes caught up in an ancient power struggle between two kingdoms.

Release date: 2002

14 comments:

  1. Always wanted to read Holly Black :D
    And oh yes creepy cover on the ghost story

    Mine is up too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling of wanting to get caught up, but it is fun to get those packages in the mail. Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the cover of A Certain Slant of Light. I got Physick Book of Deliverance Dane too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- these all sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy A Certain Slant of Light. Excellent novel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Charlie Brown Image! I love the title "A Certain Slant of Light" very poetic.

    Happy reading.

    here's my mailbox: http://savvyverseandwit.blogspot.com/2009/04/mailbox-monday-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just added A Certain Slant of Light to my wish list. I don't normally like ghost stories, but this one sounds very good from the description.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to hear what you think of the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. It's definitely on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Physick Book Of Deliverance Dane sounds really awesome!
    I love reading about Salem history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Physick was in my mailbox too - I had to put it down to read a few books for upcoming tours, I like it so far!!

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow.. I am going with the rest of the group. A Certain slant of Light is really enticing. Might have to add that to the list. Nice Mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound good. Love the Tithe cover. Happy reading!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked Tithe a lot! A Certain Slant of Light looks good - I saw it at the Bizarre Library too - congrats for winning it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for stopping by the mailbox this week. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you keep coming back!